Thursday, August 11, 2011

Here are some of my Classroom Pics!

I took some pictures of my classroom before Open House on Tuesday!
This is from my "Every Day is a Special Day" packet.  For "Name That Number Thursday" I chose to laminate my student recording forms and clip them to the back of my metal cabinet for easy access for students.  Each Thursday I will post a "number of the day" on the black chalkboard in the center.  The students will work with partners and use Visa Vis Markers on the student recording forms to show me what they know about that number (ex:  Show that value in money, make a word problem, show in base ten blocks, etc...).  Once they are finished they will "teach and tell" the class what they know before clipping the forms back on the cabinet.
Each year I have a "Reader's Chair" time built into our day when the children are "encouraged" to read aloud to the class.  This is an excellent time for my kiddos to practice fluency and expression while reading to others.  I use incentive charts and stickers to encourage the readings.  This year I decided to use my Every Day is a Special Day Incentive Charts that say they are working on reading goals.  They have the precious back to school stick kids on them and my students love them!
I have this "castle of school subjects" glued to my classroom door for my "ticket out the door" cards.  When we are going to activity classes, recess, lunch, etc... I pull a card from a pocket and ask the kids to answer essential questions as "tickets out the door".


To display my "Every Day is a Special Day" posters...I cut them out and put magnetic tape on them.  I am introducing each one as I am teaching "each special day".  I will take them on and off the board according to which special day we are doing. More pics are coming!  Keep posted!  Thanks-Yvonne

5 comments:

  1. I love your idea of Reader's Chair! :)

    ✿Brittney

    Teach.Pray.Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the castle and "ticket out the door" idea! I pinned it on pinterest if you don't mind. Was that part of a bulletin board set? Or a poster?
    Cari
    http://sturchstars.blogspot.com
    http://technologyinhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ticket out the door idea! It's a great exit slip for the whole class!

    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I bought the castle with a bulletin board set and glued library card pockets under each subject. I really use this all year long! We started this week with basic questions like..."What are class rules?" The kids really like it and it ties right in with "Learning Focused". I've been doing Reader's Chair for years. I love it! We usually have incentives like...if you get five in a row you earn a sticker or bookmark. When they fill the entire chart up they earn an ice cream party! Just a fun way to encourage reading aloud and building fluency. Thank you!-Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some very creative ideas! Can you tell me more about the Common Core Journal? Also, I had some questions about becoming a seller.
    Thanks for the Freebies!
    tracietigress@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete